Last Modified: March 18, 2021
Thank you for visiting our Website. It is our pleasure to be able to communicate with you about our work through this Website.
- On this Website.
- In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Proteus or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
The Types of Information Proteus Collects
Personal DataAs a general matter, Proteus collects personally identifiable information – your first name, middle name, last name, or similar identifier, title, and your contact details such as your billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers – only when you voluntarily choose to provide it to us.
This happens when you:
- sign up to receive our newsletter or other communications
- complete one of our online forms
- request information or assistance
- send an e-mail through the contact information provided on the Website
- Make donations to Proteus in furtherance of our mission or for a specific purpose
If you are applying for a grant, we may obtain and retain the following information:
- list of key staff and board of directors
- name(s) and email address(es) of the person(s) who should sign a grant agreement
- demographic/diversity information of board and staff
- financial information gathered for the purpose of processing and administering grant applications
- narrative proposal
- list of funders
- IRS determination letter
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like additional details on what information is obtained and how it is handled during the grant application process.
Information Collected Through Automatic Data Collection TechnologiesAs you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we may collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit Proteus, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We may engage one or more third-party payment processors to facilitate the acceptance of online donations through the Website. If you donate to us using your credit or debit card, or by making a direct ACH transfer, your card and/or bank information, including login credentials, are not stored, or held by Proteus. It is collected by our third-party payment processor specializing in the secure processing of credit and debit card transactions. Credit and debit card payment processing services for donations made through the Website are currently provided by Stripe, Inc. (“Stripe”) and are subject to the Stripe Connected Account Agreement, which includes the Stripe Terms of Service (collectively, the “Stripe Services Agreement”) available at https://stripe.com/us/legal. By making donations via this Website, you agree to be bound by the Stripe Services Agreement, as the same may be modified by Stripe from time to time. As a condition of Proteus enabling credit and debit card payment processing services through Stripe, you agree to provide us with accurate and complete information about you, and you authorize us to share any such information with Stripe. We are not responsible for the performance of any third-party credit or debit card processing or third-party payment services.
How Proteus Uses the Information that We Collect
More specifically, we may use the information to respond to specific inquiries and requests; add you to our mailing lists; manage, supervise, or send our outreach, newsletter, and other communications; generate and manage active contracts; process any registration or similar information you provide; improve our services, sites, facilities, events, and other programmatic operations; or communicate with you about a donation or processing a transaction.
If you sign up to receive our newsletter or any of our other mailings, we may contact you with information that we think will be of interest to you. We will always provide an unsubscribe option with any promotional e-mails from our organization. If at any time you wish to stop receiving these communications, please follow the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email or send us an email at website‑email@example.com and ask to be removed from our email list.
How Proteus Protects User InformationProteus maintains data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to help protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal information. We are committed to keeping your personal information safe and secure. We mandate login security controls on equipment and systems, mandatory password expiry, digital storage encryption, routine scheduled patching and updates, and ongoing cybersecurity user training and awareness for our staff.
We review our retention periods for personal information on a periodic basis. The periods of retention depend on the type of data collected, the purpose for which the data is given, and requirements of applicable law.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Sharing Personal InformationThird Party Providers
Proteus uses third party service providers to help us operate the Website and administer activities on our behalf, such as collecting donations online, providing analytics, maintenance or site improvement, and operational support. These third-party vendors may have access to Website visitor information but are required to protect the confidentiality of the information and to use it only for the limited purpose for which it was provided.
If you believe personal data you provided to us is being misused by a third party, please contact us at website‑firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compliance with Law
Proteus will share personally identifiable information about those who use our Website or communicate with us when required to do so by law, or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws or to respond to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or governmental or regulatory request. Proteus may share your personally identifiable information with a successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, or dissolution, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Proteus about our Website users is among the assets transferred. We may also share personally identifiable information if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of us or others.
User Consent / Other Services
Proteus may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personally identifiable information regarding visitors to our Website with third parties, including in connection with maintaining, improving, and fixing any operational errors on the Website.
Third Party Websites
Proteus may provide links from the Website to other websites operated by parties other than us. We provide these links for your convenience only. We do not control the content or links that appear on these third-party websites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from the Website. These websites and services have their own privacy policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites that have a link to or from our Website, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
Children’s Online Privacy
Protecting the privacy of minors is especially important. This Website is not intended to attract anyone under the age of 18 and Proteus does not knowingly collect personal data on anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please contact us at website‑email@example.com.
California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California and have provided your personally identifiable information to Proteus, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at website‑firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Acceptance of These Terms