Making It Through an Economic Crisis
Did you know that Third Wave Fund almost completely shut down during the 2008 economic recession? How did Third Wave make it through? More importantly, who helped us to thrive and exist as the feminist community fund we are today?
In this episode, Monica Trinidad welcomes back former Executive Director Rye Young to be in conversation with Third Wave's new Co-Directors, Ana Conner & Kiyomi Fujikawa. We get the historical take on what Third Wave experienced during the 2008 economic crisis, the lessons we learned as a community-based fund, and what philanthropy can do to ensure our movements weather the COVID-19 pandemic storm and subsequent economic crisis.
Resources from this Episode:
- Article: Big Money Philanthropy Must Support Grassroots Coronavirus Relief via Teen Vogue
- Book: The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
- Statement: The Libra Foundation Doubles Grantmaking in 2020
- Report: Stats on Giving to Foundation support of LGBTQ Groups
- Website: Trans Justice Funding Project
- Website: #ShareMyCheck